Vista Media Center Stops Playing Video
John
2008-11-13 19:47:11 UTC
I am using Vista Ultimate (64-bit) and, within the last several weeks (some
odd update?), I have lost the ability to play video files from within Vista
Media Center. I can load an ISO of a DVD and a TS video folder but it
returns very choppy playback but without audio.

Then, Media Center crashes and gives me the following error message/blue
screen:

"Files needed to display are not installed or not working correctly. Please
restart windows media center or restart the computer"

The very same files/folders work fine when run from PowerDVD or WinDVD9.
Did something happen to the MPEG CODECs in my media center setup? If so, how
do I fix it?

Thx.
John
Ron
2009-08-10 18:37:01 UTC
Did you ever solve this? If so, how?

I had similar issue just now. Videos may start, doesn't matter format, I get
the message "Media Center has stopped. .. will notify if a solution is
found." then "Media Center is restarting". Media crashes and reloads,
nothing logged in the Problems and reports page in 'Contol Panel".
John
Barb Bowman
2009-08-11 07:57:37 UTC
Did you try rebooting? Did you install any new programs or Windows
Updates or update drivers?

Post by John
I am using Vista Ultimate (64-bit) and, within the last several weeks (some
odd update?), I have lost the ability to play video files from within Vista
Media Center. I can load an ISO of a DVD and a TS video folder but it
returns very choppy playback but without audio.
Then, Media Center crashes and gives me the following error message/blue
"Files needed to display are not installed or not working correctly. Please
restart windows media center or restart the computer"
The very same files/folders work fine when run from PowerDVD or WinDVD9.
Did something happen to the MPEG CODECs in my media center setup? If so, how
do I fix it?
Thx.
John
Barb Bowman