Media Center problem/question
DirtyDawg
2009-10-05 14:53:01 UTC
Just wondering if someone could tell me if there is a huge difference between
media center in Vista Home Premium and Vist Ultimate? I ask this for two
reasons. One is there seems to be much more to select from when opening up
MC on the Ultimate machine then there is on the Home Premium machine. Just
as a minor example, when opening up MC on the ultimate machine, it comes up
to the default location of "Recorded TV", then I have to the left of that I
have "Netflix" option, and to the right I have an option for "Internet TV".
Those options are non-existant on the Home Premium machine. I'm thinking
that this is because for some reason the mcupdate task is not showing up in
the task manager list. Which leads me to the other problem/question I had.
On the Ultimate machine I can go into the task scheduler list and see that
there is a task set up for mcupdate, however when I go into that same area on
the Home Premium machine, there is none. I had been having difficulty with
an error when getting into the task scheduler that said something about the
task scheduler being corrupt and it mentioned mcupdate being the culprit, so
I renamed it first to see if that would take care of the error, it didn't.
So I erased it. That took care of the error, but now I cannot create another
one. It keeps saying that there is a task in the folder already, but it is
not showing up anywhere that I can see. How do I create that task again when
this keeps happening? Thanks.
DirtyDawg
Curious
DirtyDawg
2009-10-05 23:19:04 UTC
Thank you for your reply. I'm going to just assume then that there is
probably something corrupt in the settings as far as mcupdate is concerned
(as mentioned in the orignal post of mine) and just get Media Center back to
its default state and then start over. Thank you for your time.
DirtyDawg
2009-10-09 21:22:01 UTC
Ok, I've tried and tried to find a way to somehow reset WMC so that I could
get the mcudate.exe task to working, but I cannot find anything. Can someone
help me out on this please? I got rid of the mcupdate task in task
scheduler because the system said it was corrupt. Now that I've gotten rid
of it, I no longer receive the corrupt message, but every time I try to
create another task for the same thing (to run the mcupdate.exe program), the
system keeps telling me that there is already one there, but there isn't. So
at this point, my media center is not updating at all and I've determined
that that is why mc has different options/choices on this one machine, in
comparison to the other. I would really appreciate some help here. Thanks
in advance.
Barb Bowman
2009-10-10 10:00:04 UTC
Here are a couple of suggestions that may help

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/d24a6af9-4c42-4507-9562-fdf466c9d707

and this one, substituting mcupdate for RSS..
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/f86919c0-6a09-4f08-955a-76084a37db73/

Post by DirtyDawg
[...]
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
DirtyDawg
2009-10-10 15:47:01 UTC
Thank you for your reply Barb.

I tried everything in those messages and I still get this error message:

"An error has occured for task mcupdate. Error message: A task or folder
with this name already exists."

No matter what I do I still get this message. Well, I take that back, if I
do a disaster recovery the error goes away and the task runs with no
problems. I've already tested it out after imaging my system of course.
That seems to be the only way at this point, so I'll just go the Newly
installed OS route, UNLESS you have some other suggestions. If you do, I
would appreciate you sharing them with me. Thanks again.
Barb Bowman
2009-10-11 10:06:16 UTC
if a repair install does not work, I don't see anything other than a
clean install.

DirtyDawg
Curious
2009-10-11 12:43:30 UTC
Apparently you can run mcupdate.exe manually by opening it, is that
correct?
Have you tried running Checkdisk on your system?
DirtyDawg
2009-10-11 16:43:01 UTC
Hello, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I can run mcupdate.exe without seeing any error, but I don't think that
it runs properly. I say that because even though I do run it, media center
does NOT update. The reason why I say it doesn't update is because I still
have much less options to choose from once media center is loaded then I do
on my other machine (as indicated on my original message). In regards to
Checkdisk, yes I've recently run that as well, and the results continue to
be, "Checkdisk has run on your system and did not find any problems" <-----
not the exact wording, but you get the idea. I run checkdisk on a regular
basis as well as defrag, and still having troubles. Not sure what is going
on, but I'm really thinking of just doing a disaster revovery and beginning
again with all of it. Or I may just wait for my copy of Windows 7 to get
here and just go from scratch then. Thanks.