error message "digital cable device registration application stopp
Dave C
2008-02-17 19:48:00 UTC
I have upgraded my processor and now get error message.

"digital cable device registration application stopped working and was
closed" I cannot now use my Tuner.

If I put back in my old processor it goes away and |Tuner works. If I put in
an earlier processor I had before windows Vista Ultimate upgrade I get same
message.

I seems only the processor i upgraded Vista with works. CAn any one help.
Z3r0
2008-03-07 08:35:02 UTC
I have the same problem, just upgraded from a 3200+ s939 a64 to a 3600+ s939
x2 a64

I an ehPriJob.exe crash too (APPCRASH)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ehPrivJob.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 479192da
Fault Module Name: Indiv01.key
Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.7000
Fault Module Timestamp: 474e0008
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000af59a
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: ae5d
Additional Information 2: fa29a9a71f21f2a80e59ca5a7feaabb3
Additional Information 3: d663
Additional Information 4: ed65e8ac21715164c6afb8f16a38b7d9
Matt
W@tcher
@discussions.microsoft.com>
W@tcher
Patrick
2008-03-19 01:14:02 UTC
I have the same problem

just installed a quad core upgrade and have a hauppauge tv card

searching I found this -
Post by ***@tcher
Post by Dave C
So the other day I got my q6600 and threw it in my rig. As soon as I loaded up Vista, and ever since, I have been getting this message: "Digital cable device registration application has stopped working."
It pops up all the time, when I'm playing games, surfing the web even when
the computer is idle. I think in the 5 days since I upgraded, it has popped
up over 100 times.

Now from what I understand, it has something to do with Vista Media Center
and my TV tuner card (Hauppauge HVR-1800)

I have been searching Google, and the neares I could find was to go into C:
Program Data\microsoft\Windows\DRM and delete everything in it.<<<<

I have deleted the contents of DRM (it is a hidden folder) and it works for
me !

Hope this helps someone else

Patrick
ninny404
OttoMate
2008-03-23 05:29:00 UTC
Go into folder options and uncheck the Hide protected operating system files
and click apply. Then go back to the folder
ProgramData\Microsofyt\Windows\DRM and you will/should be able see the files
that are there. Drag them all to the recycle bin. This fix works fine. I
tried installing the netflix movie viewer on vista 64 ultimate and it caused
the DRM problem. Deleting all files in the folder restored WMC so that you
can watch TV.
RichMc
RichMc
2008-03-25 10:13:00 UTC
I've got the same prob, after going from a E6600 to Q6600 processor, Nothing
in DRM folder even after unchecking hide protected files, so this fix wont
work for me, any other ideas, is there a vista repair function like there was
in XP?
Russcue
Russcue
2008-03-26 19:09:03 UTC
Same exact setup and problem aside from the 64 bit I was having too many
issues with other stuff but in my case the DRM folder wasn't hidden and was
empty. The error seems to be popping up much less often since I removed and
reinstall the hauppauge.
I was wondering though I was wondering if anyone else has comcast as
their provider because I know that they tag certain devices (wild guess cause
my machine is running smooth and was just rebuilt last week)
Barb Bowman
2008-03-26 19:23:44 UTC
I can't tell what you are talking about with the phrase "tag certain
devices". Comcast requires cable cards to be paired with host
devices, TV's, Tivo, DCT (OCUR) devices included.

What exactly do you mean by "tag"?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
RichMc
2008-03-27 11:35:01 UTC
I've got it now! under XP you have the option to view hidden files and
folders, with Vista you have view hidden files and folders, then a line or
two down Hide protected operating system files, with this unchecked loads of
stuff shows up! including the other DRM folder that needs to be emptied.

Well done microsoft first of all a simple processor upgrade fubar's media
center for no reason whatsoever.

MS seem unaware of the problem ie no knowledge base info.

And super nanny MS means a pointless two step opperation to do one thing!

You want to change somthing in Vista, are you sure, are you really sure, are
you realy sure that you think you're sure, or do you only think you'er sure?

Come on MS BACKOFF the nanny!
tom64ss
tom L.
Bi0hazard
2009-09-14 14:43:01 UTC
I found a solution for this problem that has been caused by the replacement
of the cpu (Intel E2200 to E8400 in my case). I tried, as somebody here wrote
some posts ago, to erase all the content of the DRM folder without any
improvement.

Here is my solution:
the problem is a scheduled task that windows vista runs automatically in the
background called ehdrminit. This task executes the file that generates our
issue: ehprivjob.exe (it is the file which crashes randomly, in my case at
windows startup). Disabling or removing this task solves the issue for me.

1st. open the start bar and write in the search box "task scheduler", open
the scheduler.
2nd. in the left side of the window expand Task Scheduler (Local) -> Task
Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows. Now point to the following
folders. When you click on a folder the tasks get loaded and then you will
see a screen where different tasks will be showing. Right click on
"ehdrminit" and disable it.

Hope to be some advice, regards
Bi0hazard.
Mal
2008-03-27 19:38:03 UTC
Post by Russcue
Same exact setup and problem aside from the 64 bit I was having too many
issues with other stuff but in my case the DRM folder wasn't hidden and was
empty. The error seems to be popping up much less often since I removed and
reinstall the hauppauge.
I have upgrade from a E2140 to E4600 intel processor and Media Center on
Vista Home Premimum no longer works.

I have a Hauppuage Nova TD stick

Tried the DRM fix , it too was empty and didn't work.

Not sure if this is a Microsoft or Hauppauge problem.
dj_gigi
2008-04-13 09:13:00 UTC
for me it's exactly the same problem...
Richard Baker
2008-05-07 01:16:00 UTC
This fix worked for me. I have a Hauppauge HVR-1800 with Vista Home Premium.
When I upgraded the CPU to a Athelon 4800 X2 I lost the HVR card. This fix
restored it perfectly the first try.

=============================
pants
can watch TV.
sprender
2009-06-16 04:02:02 UTC
I had also upgraded my processor from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad Q9400S.

The specific file which was causing the problem for me was:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\windows\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.key
I deleted just that file and then I could reconfigure my TV tuner in Media
Center.

On Vista, the crash raises the dialog "search online for a solution" (known
in Microsoft as Watson). If you click "show details" on that dialog you'll
see the process crashing is "ehPrivJob.exe" and one of the other values
mentioned is "Indiv01.key".
can watch TV.
lypolintan74
Marc
gatty76
2008-09-28 18:01:01 UTC
Post by Z3r0
[...]
I had this problem and a quick google search brought me here and the above
solution worked perfectly. Thanks a lot Patrick!

It also solved my problem with BBC iPlayer and 4onDemand (in UK) which i
thought may be linked to the processor upgrade.

Thanks again everyone!

gatty76
bgratias
Dogg
2008-11-02 00:55:01 UTC
I am not sure where the program Data file is. Tried a search which usually is
good in vista. I know where the program files folder is. Without finding this
I cant locate any of the files after that you mentioned. The closest I have
gotten is C: Windows....and DRM is not in there.
magnethead
Dan
2008-12-24 13:31:01 UTC
Wooohooo!

Thankyou so much! I upgraded my processor and motherboard and was getting
this message when the system started, also Media Player crashed after a few
seconds.

If Media Player 11 crashes and you get the error "digital cable device
registration application stopped responding" at startup, delete the contents
of this DRM folder!

Hopefully this response will bump this in search engines.
Robert
Don
2009-01-29 02:51:01 UTC
Thank you Patrick! That worked for me like a charm (did a CPU upgrade too).
DRM is a system folder so anyone else who needs to do this, be sure you go
into Tools, Folder Options, then click on the view tab and uncheck "Hide
protected operating system files". You can then delete the files in the DRM
folder. It's a good idea to recheck the box after you delete the file. Not
sure if a reboot is required, but that's what I did before trying Windows
Media Center again.
Richard1701
2009-04-02 18:37:02 UTC
Thanks a lot Patrick!!!!

deleting C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM worked perfectly! now my
AVerTV Hybrid+FM PCI A16AR work with my AMD PII 920 and Vista UE x64. I was
going to reinstall windows, you've saved me a lot of work i owe you one!
GobinderConvert?
2010-01-05 23:19:01 UTC
Had a motherboard replaced, and now this error. Seems to be generated by a
scheduled task in my Vista.

Was the answer ever found? (This is an old thread).
donsam
donsam
2008-08-05 05:42:01 UTC
Post by Dave C
I have upgraded my processor and now get error message.
"digital cable device registration application stopped working and was
closed" I cannot now use my Tuner.
If I put back in my old processor it goes away and |Tuner works. If I put in
an earlier processor I had before windows Vista Ultimate upgrade I get same
message.
I seems only the processor i upgraded Vista with works. CAn any one help.
I FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME
I was receiving the message "Digital Cable device registration application
has stopped working."
This error message appeared every few seconds. I got to where I would just
leave it alone.
Down below the message is a message allowing you to view the error.
I found that the program that was crashing was
ehPrivJob.exe
I went to regedit and did a search of the program.
I found three occasions. I deleted all three and the line of numbers that
was listed below. I don't remember what the line was named.
It worked. My computer didn't crash and I don't get the error message
anymore.
donsam
2008-08-09 02:57:01 UTC
Oops!!!! It came back. I am just ignoring the message and hoping that
someone comes up with a solution. I sent the error message to Microsoft.
Maybe they will fix it in an update
anymore.
grinner30
2009-02-09 14:26:03 UTC
Worked like a charm. So is hte DRM, which I believe is has something to do
with licensing correlated to the CPU serial number or CPU type? I assume the
licensing thinks it is a different computer so it blocks it?

grinner30
anymore.
donsam
2008-08-05 05:53:00 UTC
Post by Dave C
I have upgraded my processor and now get error message.
"digital cable device registration application stopped working and was
closed" I cannot now use my Tuner.
If I put back in my old processor it goes away and |Tuner works. If I put in
an earlier processor I had before windows Vista Ultimate upgrade I get same
message.
I seems only the processor i upgraded Vista with works. CAn any one help.
I found a solution to the problem -- at least with my computer.
Below the error message I found "View details"
Among the list was "Application name ehPrivJob.exe"
I went to regedit and found three areas where this program occurred.
I deleted the program and the line under it that had a bunch of numbers
I restarted my computer and evidently didn't do any harm. I don't see the
error message anymore.
I guess that program was not needed anymore.
Meddatron
2008-11-09 01:43:01 UTC
Ok I'm gonna tell ya how the drm fix works, i think everyone making mistake
i was, when you go to folder options view, do 2 things, check the show hidden
files and folders AND UNcheck the hide protected operating system files,
click yes then ok, now go to my computer c drive, double click program data
(its ghosted), double click microsoft, (the DRM folder here is not one we
want) double click windows, now double click DRM (it is ghosted) and empty
contents, or cut paste to another spot. IT MUST BE EMPTY. reboot, problem
fixed. The files will be written anew with new computer profile. don't
forget to undo views in folder options. I think everyone is making mistake at
first(useless) DRM folder, I hope i helped! this fixed wmp failing when flash
disc or mp3 player was inserted, and it fixed my media center failure with TV
tuner. All happened after processor upgrade with vista ultimate
unknown
Ballnmike
Angus
2009-04-18 04:35:01 UTC
Thanks to the good old boys at MSFT they will tell you not to back up the DRM
files, but they don't tell you how to fix this problem. had the same issue,
where I replaced both Q6600 and motherboard and MCE went tits-up on me.

Run regedit, got hkey local machine/microsoft/drm and open the datapath key.
this lists the path where the DRM folder is. Be careful, because on my
machine I erroneously followed incorrect instructions that said it should be
under C:\programdata\microsoft\drm. Although that path exists, the folder is
empty. The real folder was under C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\drm.
Delete all the contents of this folder including the cache folder and reboot.
For me that fixed the issue straight away. These folders and files are hidden
system files so make sure you're viewing them.

Good luck. I'd be interested if this works for everyone. BTW I'm running
vista 32 ultimate SP1
triscut
triscut
2009-05-02 19:09:01 UTC
Problem:
Windows Media Center / Windows Media Player Stopped working after I upgraded
CPU E8400 to Q9550 on Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 (Dell XPS 630i).

After upgrade I received this error message "Digital Cable device
registration application stopped working" in WMC

Product
Digital Cable device registration application.

Problem
Stopped working

Date
12/31/2008 9:07 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ehPrivJob.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47919cb2
Fault Module Name: Indiv01_64.key
Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.6324
Fault Module Timestamp: 47e707e8
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 000000000011e8f0
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7ffd
Additional Information 2: 29606b819134863cb9ca307008f8ab56
Additional Information 3: a362
Additional Information 4: 03f21c6d4135de1b40171d3afdc88336

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt
minidump.mdmp

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3510125
I called Microsoft tech support and they fixed this problem using remote
desktop on my machine. I kept notes and this is what they did:

Run Regedit as Admin

1. Regsvr32 Jscript.dll
2. Regsvr32 vbscript.dll
3. Regsvr32 wmp.dll

Downloaded this app from Napster; DRMreset.exe (yes from Napster; MS tech
support downloaded this and used this on my machine)

http://www.napster.com/client/drmreset/DRM_reset.exe

Run DRM_reset.exe as Admin.

Reboot machine

Problem fixed on my machine.

Microsoft Tech support said that this DRM cache corruption problem will be
fixed with the release of Vista SP2.

BTW they did NOT charge me for the support call. They said it was their
problem.
triscut
2009-05-02 19:20:06 UTC
Sorry my brain got side tracked

Run "CMD" (Command Prompt) as Admin (not regedit)

1. Regsvr32 Jscript.dll
2. Regsvr32 vbscript.dll
3. Regsvr32 wmp.dll
problem.
triscut
2009-05-03 02:18:01 UTC
BTW this is a known problem with Windows Media Center and CPU upgrades
(according to Microsoft). I contacted Microsoft regarding the x64 version of
Vista and I do not know if this fix applies to x86 versions of Vista

-Triscut
problem.
kindkris
2009-09-07 04:35:01 UTC
Thanks for this post. It worked for me. The only part I had trouble with
was running the DRM_reset.exe program after downloading from Napster. By
rebooting in Safemode and running it from there, it installed and after
rebooting again, things are working.